Upcycling again: transforming more tea boxes into doll-size shelves

In 2019 I wrote a blog post that transformed a tea container into a doll-sized shelf / bookcase to use as props for doll scenes and dioramas. This is a very simple but effective idea that I wanted to explore further but never did. In fact, when I posted the message, I found two more boxes that had been in my dollhouse for nearly two years. Since I haven't planned anything for this blog yet, I thought it would be a good time to check it out.

Blake and Rosie in a blush pink room with grey bookcase

In this article, I will design two. The first is the same one I made in the original upcycling post but in a different color so I won't go into too much detail with that. The second is longer, which I will explain better, even if the technique is basically the same. As I said in the original post, I got this idea from Bonequea, a Spanish doll collector.

As I mentioned, the first design is the same box I made in my original post, this time I didn't set foot outside. I prepared it and gave it my first coat of white paint a few months ago.


Now it's time to draw. I don't know if you remember it, but at the end of the post I asked you what color to paint it. Okay, apparently I didn't use any of the colors you suggested and I used Americana Acrylics ' Sea Glass , which wasn't mine at the time.

Tea box with Sea Glass tube

Here is the final result:


i really like this design. Reminds me of an Ikea Calax bookcase. I'd love to do it in some other color, but these boxes are pretty hard to find. While working on this article I came across a third box like this one to be able to add another color to my shelving collection.

We now come to the second image. I found this box measuring 25 x 9cm (9.8 x 3.5in) which allowed me to build a long bookcase.


Like the first design, we need to open the hinges and remove the lid. Then I filled the holes with a wooden spatula.

As I mentioned in a previous post, this box has the word "Infusion" next to it, so we need to get rid of it. I gave him some sand to get as close as possible, but I probably wouldn't be able to get rid of it completely.


Once I thought I had it perfected enough, I went ahead and prepared that part. I used chalk, but you want to use any type of foundation. As you can see in the photo below, the characters always go through the primers. I was worried it would still see through the paint and would have to give it more coats.


Since I prefer prevention to healing, I decided to mix white and orange and give it a peach color first. The idea came to me from the makeup technique used to cover up tattoos, also known as color correction. The theory is that since blue and orange are complementary colors, the orange color balances the blue undertones of black ink. As you can see in the photo below, the peach color is mostly covered in ink.

I would suggest using a peach color instead of a pure orange as it is easier to cover, especially if you choose a lighter shade. If you plan to use a darker color, you don't need to perform this step.

Once this stain is dry, it's time to paint. I used American Acrylics dove gray paint . Linda from Yéyé Dolls suggested using this color on a pole I made for another design , but I ended up using it for that one.


It is a fairly neutral shade with purplish undertones. What he does in real life is easily seen in front of the camera.

Let's see what our new doll holder looks like in front of the camera. Let's try the green through the dove gray wall first . I'm not too proud of this setting, but I love the subtle pop of color.

Before starting to work on this post, I took pictures with the sea glass shelves . I wanted to see what it would be like with a wall of the same color, it broke with a gray weinscot. Blake here:

Let's try Gray now. I wanted to reverse what I did with Chloe in the first photo and try a dove gray bookcase against a C glass wall. I love this color scheme.

I recently made a new wall in a dusty pink color. I used a pink blush from Americana Acrylics and it's beautiful. Let's use our new wall and see how it looks with the gray bookcase. That's Rosie.


I love this color and how it looks on dolls. I was a little worried that it would look too similar to the orchid wall near my house, but I thought it was very different. I intend to use it for recycling projects in the future.



I usually do a short synopsis of my thoughts on my craft projects. Having accomplished this craft, I knew it would be effective. I was quite happy with the colors I chose (despite an easy fix) and thought they were a lovely addition to my doll furniture. I was afraid the gray wasn't the right size, but it's perfect. I have some other boxes that I could recycle in the near future.

For a future project, I have just started working on hardwood floors and it looks like there will be a lot of work and icicles. Hopefully it's ready by the end of the month or early October because it looks great for a Fall / Fall themed photo (although we're always wearing shorts and a tank top here).

I hope you are all well. Let me know if you are planning something similar for your doll and if you have any other recycling ideas. 

I'll see you!

monstrous craft


PS Atelier ni Shasha is on sale on weekends. See his latest message for more information.


See Part 1: Upcycling: Making a Doll Closet with Tea Crates

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url