How to: doll-size hardwood floor

Ever since I started creating these "mix and match" backgrounds , I've used the same white soil for most of my photos. I have long wanted to create a new floor design that will add texture to my scenes. Combining side projects with other projects and my slow work, I never managed to do that. But in early September, the stars were right, and I began to build that solid foundation. I initially thought of creating a marble effect floor, but as autumn approached, I thought it would be more suitable for fall-themed photos.

Chloe on a hardwood floor for the dollhouse

As always, this post was supposed to be a little early, but I had a bad week with migraines right after I published my last post.

For this product you need:

  • It will hold plywood or other cheap plywood glue well.
  • eskimo sticks. You will use at least 200 of them.
  • white gum;
  • Scissors.
  • Paint or varnish (optional).
I often use this forum for school projects. It is affordable and easy to find. It measures 65 x 40 cm (25.59 x 15.75 inches), but looking back, I think I can make it a little smaller. At first the board was bigger, but I asked them to cut it small.

Plywood/craft board


Measure the desired size for the wooden boards. I wouldn't make it too small and then it would take too long to finish the bottom. When I was 9 cm (3.54 inches) tall, I did it myself. Mark and cut them.


I would recommend cutting some sticks before gluing. So I feel like I'm using less glue and it works faster.

Bunch of already cut popsicle sticks


Start gluing the panels in place using white glue.



When you reach the end of the row, you may need to cut to adjust the straw.


One very important thing to remember is to start with a smaller board in the second row to create a more realistic pattern. I do not know if there is a need for detailed explanations, but I will try to explain as much as I can. I hope the photos provide additional explanation if there is anything surprising.

An easy way to do this is to start the second row with a smaller piece that is the same size as the bottom of the last row. You can also start from the bottom of the row to the top. This works as long as the small piece is between 1/3 and 2/3 of the full size of the board. I am about 1/3 the height of a full-size board.


I kept wondering if this pattern was too obvious, so I changed it. Instead, after cutting the bottom of the previous row, I started the second row with the rest.


For the third row, I started with a small piece of the same size as the bottom edge of the first row.


Then return to pasting the full-size board.



There aren't many instructions here, just keep cutting and pasting the sticks. It's a bit monotonous, so I kept a few podcasts or youtube videos in the background while doing it. I got it on the fifth day.



I've been working on stacks for 40-60 minutes and I don't feel like I've made much progress. Also, most of the lollipops I bought at one time were broken. To find the best ones, I had to open all the lollipop packages (I had about 6) and buy 4 more packages anyway. This is an example of how some sticks are made.



The need to order rods extended the process. I bought all the packages from one store and one brand, but not all the bags are of the same quality. I had to get rid of about two-thirds of the bag. I've tried to use some scraps for small pieces, so it's not a total waste, but I still can't use much of it.

Finally, about two weeks after I started, I was able to finish it.



I made mistakes here and there, and the gap between some of the boards is very large, so I will try to correct it with a putty.


I used a plastic spoon and a piece of cardboard to help put the putty in. I will not fill in all the gaps, I just think the most obvious ones. After the mastic has dried, grind it if necessary .



Now it's time to paint everything. I use water-based walnut paint that I used to use on a doll-sized pergola .

Cedria dekor-lasur in nogal/walnut


I paint the stain with a brush, spreading the product as much as possible by drawing thin layers. Some people like to use a cloth when using stains, but you decide. Just be sure to paint in the direction of the wood.

Half stained floor

This is the end of the matter. He looks very pale in this photo, but he looks even better personally.

Stained floor


Now it's time to take a look at our mannequins. I didn't feel very inspired, so it took me a while to get the pictures I was happy with. First I want to see what the sea glass wall looks like. Here is a picture of Lia.

Lea sitting on a chair in a sea glass living room

I wasn't sure about this set when I took the picture, but now I like it when I look at the photos.

Chloe sitting on a hardwood floor. Sea glass wall


I wanted to experiment with a completely different wallpaper, so I chose Orchid Wall. Although I like the first picture in this post, I'm not sure about this combination.


One of the reasons I go with this color is because I want something that will look good with coral embellishments and a neutral wall. So I tried to connect the tortora wall with panels to see what it would look like. The floor is beautiful with coral, but I think, on the contrary, it makes the wall cooler.


In this post, I took a few pictures of dolls sitting on the ground to show them.


This work took a lot of effort, but in general I am very pleased with the results. I would like to make another one in a more fresh tone in the future, but maybe next time I will cut it. In the meantime, I have other floor ideas that I hope won't last very long. I also don't want to see candy cane for a while.

On the other hand, I tried all my acrylic paints. The idea is not only to choose the best colors for the projects, but also to take it to the store and dry the real color pattern so as not to duplicate the colors. There are different brands of colors, so remembering the names doesn't help me. Even within a single brand, they can be almost the same color ( American mistake). Also, we don't remember the colors as well as we thought, so I think it will help me.


These are not all my colors, most of them are my colors. I haven't worn all my metallic colors and some of them here and there like the two colors I got while working on this post.

I hope you will enjoy reading about this project, because to be honest, it took a long time to complete. I have many ideas and projects that I want to do for the fall, but I think sewing will be a priority for the next few weeks. If I don't take it more seriously, I will never learn. I can't wait to say, "I don't have anything else to do," because there is always something to do.

I wish you a good rest of the week and see you next time.

terrible character

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url