Making more backgrounds for doll photography


Welcome! How is your summer going so far?

I passed my final exams a few days ago and I think they did well, although the results won't be known until early July. Now I have a few months off before the start of the next semester. I think I deserve a vacation, I have worked full time for over 6 years and studied at night. I hope that next year I will be in my last year of university and can focus 'only' on work.

Over the winter, I came up with several ideas for a blog, most of which were about photography for dolls. This summer I plan to update my Instagram account and also work on my photography skills. Let's see if I can do what I planned.


Howleen Wolf Doll photography backgrounds for Instagram


Today's post is also about photography because I'm working on a new background for doll photography. A few months ago, I wrote a post outlining some background ideas for your doll photos (see here ). It's like "Part 2" in this post. In a conversation with the doll's stylist on Twitter, she gave me some great wallpaper ideas, but I'll add them in the next post because I don't want it to be too long. Also, in it, I wanted to focus on the most common things that anyone could do, as well as give you the ability to use things that you may already have in your home. Anyway, let's start.

As you know, I always use large cardboard for my photos. I have its simple and bright colors. But what I haven't done before is put two layers on top of each other to create a two-tone background. It's so simple I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Garrick flies here.


Amanita Nightshade Monster Crafts Doll photography backgrounds

Here's how to set it up:

How to make backgrounds for doll photography


For lighting, I usually cover the table lamp with tissue paper because I don't have a soft cover. Cheap but my cloud looks good since I learned this technique.



Lights for doll photography


You can always create a different background by changing the position of the doll, the design or the color of the cardboard.



I love Fashion Iris Clops


My only problem was that the color options were very limited. I wanted some shades that I couldn't find, in addition to cardboard with patterns. I live in a small town and sometimes I find interesting or unusual things on Epic. That's why I decided to paint mine with a stock box and some craft paint. Yes, the size is very small, but I can't imagine drawing a big sheet of cardboard. You could probably use spray paint, but I don't know a lot of people who like to spray paint and I wanted this app to be beginner friendly. You don't need a lot of instructions here, just draw right next to the stock box with no labels.



Painting doll photo backgrounds


I wanted a peach/coral color for the background, so I used this American color called Coral Blush. For some reason, it doesn't look as bright as real life on camera, but it does come out with some color. Here's Kourtney, aka Coral Crazy.



Crazy for coral Coral blush background


I also wanted a bright purple, so I bought LeFranc acrylics with blueberries. I know LeFranc is supposed to be a really good brand, but it doesn't work as well as the American brand and looks messy even after two coats. I don't know, maybe it's been up to me for a while. Also, when it dries, it doesn't look as vibrant as I'd hoped.



Painting a purple background

If the width of the serial box is an issue, you can always place it horizontally.



How to set up backgrounds


You can still see some contrast here, but Casta Fears looks great in that color contrast.



Casta Fierce Singing purple background


Here are the two colors I used, if you found them useful.



Americana Coral Blush Le Franc Bilberry


I got these two colors from a Spanish manufacturer called Titan and I don't know if it is available in your area.



Titan Acualux Satin Fucsia verde Pistacho


This product called Aqualux is very good, especially its matte formula. However, they were satin and I wanted my background to be matte so I mixed green with a matte medium to make it matte. The downside is that it was too hard to apply and it looks a bit uneven. However, you will rarely see obstructions in the camera.



Orange Hair Howleen Neon Green Wall

When I chose these two colors, I thought of Howlin Wolf. She is one of my favorite Monster High dolls and I really enjoy taking pictures of her. Its bright colors make it very attractive and fun. I think it looks great in this photo, plus the glossy satin look is just visible.



Orange Hair Howleen Hot pink background

I also wanted to try metallic paint because I wanted to see if it would show up on camera and how light would reflect off of it. I chose this copper color from Amsterdam brand. Again, the paint seemed too thick and didn't spread well, but I left it at home for a while. However, I don't mind making it rough here because I think it would give it a polished metallic look.



Amsterdam metallic copper


It looks great on camera because it adds some texture to the background. What is your opinion?



Casta Fierce Monster High The Monster Crafts


At first I just wanted to do some solid backgrounds, but sometimes I thought it would be fun to create a background in the form of a splash of paint. It still takes a few steps but it is very easy. Start with a solid background. I decided to make mine in black.



How to paint a background


Then pick some colors and dilute them with water to make them work harder and start splashing on the surface. I recommend using contrasting colors because they will stand out more. Sorry for the horrible photo, I took it myself with one hand. Now I realize that I can use a tripod.



How to do splatter paint effect


And these results. You can also make this out of cardboard (which is what I thought after drawing the square from the series). I think it looks good on camera.



Iris Clops splattered paint background for Instagram

I think one post is enough. I have more wallpaper ideas and plan to post a tutorial on them. Be sure to tell me which wallpaper you like the most in the comments and suggestions section for future posts. I also thought about posting "themed" photos of dolls, for example with a colorful piece or idea, like a tree or nature. Also, if you have Instagram or Facebook , feel free to follow me there too.
See you soon blog.

Microsoft


Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url