Sewing my first garment: basic tank top

If you've been following me for a while, you probably heard me say that I're learning to sew, but that never happened. Earlier this year I did this by sewing a few pillows for my dolls, which helped me practice sewing. But finally, a few weeks ago, I decided to take a chance and make a simple t-shirt.

What inspired me to start sewing was not "This looks like a fun pastime" but "I like doll clothes and I don't like what Mattel offers. Learning sewing can solve this problem." I continue to quit because of a lack of confidence in my sewing skills (or a lack of self-confidence, menstruation). But I had to give up because the only way to do something was to actually do it. This may end badly, but I must remember that it is okay to start something new.


This article is not intended to teach anyone how to sew, but to share my learning journey. I know some of my readers are very experienced seamstresses, so you better teach me! I want to use it as a "sewing journal" where I can monitor my progress and encourage me to expand this blog. In addition, I receive feedback and advice on how I can improve on future projects in this way.

The dress I am sewing today is a simple tank top made from Barbie fashion. If you have read my blog enough, you may have seen my dolls countless times in this dress because this is one of my favorite outfits. I always wanted to have these shirts in other colors so I decided to start with this. I'm not sure this is a great project for beginners but since my dolls are often worn under their jackets, it hides mistakes if I don't do a good job.


The first step is to create a model. I do not know how to make a pattern, but luckily the April fashion doll stylist has a post on how to make a pattern out of existing clothes. The post ( Style Paths ) is very old since 2013, but I think I have made the clothes I want to restore since I found them.

This shirt is made of one piece and has no shoulder seams. I think it is important not to have too much there. Since I have a hard time finding a one-part pattern, I make two pieces one at the front and one at the back. I hope I can learn it all at once. 

Following the instructions in the letter in April, I made a list of my clothing. I'm using a Manila card, as I used in my post, I found the April card not as obvious, but in my second attempt. I'll try another card next time.

I cut it and compared it to the original dress and tested it on my wrist to make sure it was correct.


Then I changed it on a piece of paper to make it last longer if you want to do a few. To make sure it fits, I fold the paper in half and circle only half of the pattern.


The fabric I use is an old H&M shirt that I no longer fit. I carefully applied the design to the fabric. I use mechanical pencils because I have not been able to find any standard pencils since I moved.


I cut 1/4 inch sewing allowance.


Now that everything is over, I don't know how to put everything together. I have checked Atelier Ni Shashan YouTube Channel if they have any textbooks that will help me. I was so happy, he had a video showing how the T-shirt expands . Her design is a little different from mine (her back is a piece) but I think it helps. Expand the shoulder detail first


Then sew the neckline.


And then I sew the gloves. I worked here carelessly. Looking back, I think I had to sew holes first because the straps were so tight. At that time I thought I should stop early, but I decided to give it a try.


Now, after all the hard work I have done on armholes, it is time to sew on the sides. I'm sure he'll continue to be polite after this step.


Now is the time to cut his back. In the original dress, one side was not sewn, but the fabric was rolled up, and I shortened it.


Now it's time to sew on the buttons. These are too small to be found and still very large compared to my dress. I use plastic because they are smaller than steel. I will try to find the smaller ones for future projects, but that is good for now.


This is what a shirt looks like on a doll. As you can see, the shoulders are a little too thick and the straps look too long. It doesn't hold its scent well, but maybe I can fix it.



Let's try the jacket. The jacket covers them properly, as most mistakes fall on the shoulders and arms. Looks good to me in this photo. By the way, this jacket is something I want to recreate.


I made some mistakes but I feel like I learned from them. First of all, the fabric I used was very stretchy and did not fit the pattern. Surprisingly, I tossed another old shirt, thinking it would cause problems because the fabric was "too tight". I have other shirts that look a lot tighter, so I hope they work better with the pattern.


Rolling the fabric can be a bit of a hassle, especially when lifting. The next time I worked with this type of t-shirt, Sharon, who lives in Spain , suggested that I sew it on. This is very helpful for this type of tissue damage.

Despite the shortcomings, I am happy with what I have done, especially since I was finally able to sew doll clothes after many years of commitment. I try not to overdo it on myself because this is my first project. As I continue to practice, I hope to improve.


I have low hopes for what I want to achieve on my sewing journey. I want to be able to make simple clothes to expand my doll wardrobe, but I do not want to be a very good seamstress and make very detailed garments. I have some ideas for future sewing projects, but I have not yet decided what to do next.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post more than expected. While I was making this shirt, I could not stop thinking about the new color I wanted to use for the look, so you will see it here soon.

I hope you are well and see you soon. Happy weekend!


Monster Crafts


Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url