How to: doll-size hardwood floor

Since I started creating this "mix and match" background , I've used the same white floor in most of my photos. For a long time I wanted to design a new floor that would add texture to my look. Thanks for joining another project and working so slowly, I was never able to adapt to this one. But in early September the stars aligned and I started making this hardwood floor. I originally planned to do a marble effect floor, but since it's in a fall corner, I thought it might be a better fit for a fall themed photo.

Chloe on a hardwood floor for the dollhouse

As usual, this post should have been out a while ago, but I've had a really bad week after publishing my last post.

For this job you will need:

  • Cheap wooden planks or sticky boards that hold up well.
  • popsicle sticks. You will use at least 200 of them.
  • White glue.
  • Cutting scissors.
  • Stain or paint (optional).
I use this whiteboard, which is often used for school projects. It is very affordable and easy to find. Mine is 65x40cm (25.59x15.75 inches), but looking back, I think I could have made it a little smaller. The board was big at first, but I wanted it to be smaller.

Plywood/craft board


Measure your plate as much as you want. I wouldn't make it too small, nor would it take years to finish the floor. I did 9cm (3.54in). Mark and cut.


I would recommend cutting a lot of sticks before making the glue. So I think I use less glue and work faster.

Bunch of already cut popsicle sticks


Using white glue, start gluing the boards.



When you reach the bottom of the line, the ice cream may need to be cut to fit.


A very important thing to remember is to start with the smaller boards in the second row to create a more realistic model. I don't know if I need a more in-depth explanation, but I'll try to explain it as much as I can. Let's hope the photos shed more light on the confusion.

The easiest way to do this is to start the second row with a small snippet at the bottom of the last row. You can also go from the bottom row. This will work until the small pieces are 1/3 and 2/3 of the full size board. This is 1/3 of my full size board.


I thought this example wasn't very clear so I changed it. Instead, I started with something else in the second row after cutting the bottom of the previous row.


For the third row, I started with small pieces the same size as the bottom edge of the first row.


And then back to the full size board.



No more instructions here, just cut the stick. It's pretty monotonous, so I play some podcasts or YouTube videos in the background while I'm at it. This is what I received until the 5th day.



I work in groups of 40-60 minutes and it's not very far. Also, most of the ice cream I've ever eaten has been cracked. To find the best, I had to open all my ice cream sachets (I have about 6) and still had to buy 4. Sample display of a few sticks.



Extra time added to the barrel selection process. I bought all the packs from the same store and brand, but not all bags are of the same quality. In one of them I had to throw about 2/3 of the bag. I'm trying to use something wrong with small bits so it doesn't completely break it, but there's a lot I still can't use.

Finally, about two weeks after I started, I was able to finish.



I've made a few mistakes here and there and the gaps between some of the boards are too big, so I'll try to fix them with wood putty.


I used a plastic spoon and a piece of paper to get into the putty. I'm not going to fill in all the gaps, I think it's even clearer. After the paste dries, sand it if necessary.



Now it's time to draw everything. I used a water-based walnut stain that I used on a doll-shaped arbor .

Cedria dekor-lasur in nogal/walnut


I dab the stain with a brush, apply a thin layer and spread the product as much as possible. Some people prefer to use a cloth when applying stain, but that's up to you. Remember to paint only in the direction of the tree.

Half stained floor

This is the end result. Looks very neat in photos, but looks much better in real life.

Stained floor


Now it's time to experiment with our doll. I didn't feel very inspired, so it took me a while to find the photos that made me happy. First I want to see what it looks like with a sea glass wall. This is a photo of Leah.

Lea sitting on a chair in a sea glass living room

I wasn't sure about this combination when I took the photos, but now I love it when I look back at the photos.

Chloe sitting on a hardwood floor. Sea glass wall


I wanted to try it out with a completely different background, so I went to Orchid Wall. While I like the first photo of this post, I'm not sure about this combination.


One of the reasons I chose this color was because I wanted something that looked good with coral panels and neutral walls. So I tried combining the Dove Gray walls and panels to see what they looked like. The coral floor looks good, but the walls look good.


For this post, I took some photos of my doll sitting on the floor to show off.


This job requires a lot of work, but overall I am very happy with the results. I'd like to do more than one good melody in the future, but I'll probably reduce it next time. In the meantime, I hope to have more flooring ideas soon to come. I didn't want to see more ice cream for a while.

I also made swatches of all my acrylic paints. The idea behind it is not only to choose a better color for the project, but also to find original dry paint to take to the store and repaint. I have different colored markings, so remembering the name won't help me. Even within the same brand, the colors can be almost the same ( America is responsible for this). Also, I don't remember the color as much as before, so I thought it would help me out.


These are mainly my colors, not all of them. I haven't changed all the metallic colors and other colors here and there, I got two colors at once while I was working on this post.

I hope you enjoyed reading about this project, honestly, because it took me a long time to finish. I have lots of ideas and projects I'd like to make this fall, but I think I'll want to sew them up in the coming weeks. If I don't take it seriously anymore, I'll never learn. I can't wait to say "I have nothing left to do." I always have something to do.

I wish you a wonderful weekend and see you next time.

Monster craft

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url