How to: making Mix and Match backgrounds for doll photography

If you followed my blog last year, you might know that some of my content is about pop photo backgrounds. They can really help light up the doll, complement it and make the photo more vivid, especially if you don't have good photography skills or a good tool like me. In this article I wrote last year, I created my own colorful background using cereal boxes and crafts. The problem is that they are so small that I could take a picture of the doll their size. After writing this article, I started thinking about what I could use to enlarge the background, but it wasn't available or expensive. Finally at the end of August - beginning of September, this idea came to my mind and I wanted to try it. Unfortunately the housing and settlement centers are in the middle of nowhere and so far this has not been possible.



The main idea is to create something that is not too complicated, does not take up a lot of storage space and allows the script to be modified with a few elements. I understand that this chipboard (or poster board) is sold at very cheap and easy craft stores. I don't know what they call it, but it's what they use to make album covers. Last time I used a template to make this and although it was a little harder to cut I thought it might work.



The idea was to create flat backgrounds and accents in different colors and combine them with photos from magazines / publishers (see some examples here ). Then I thought it would be nice to make backgrounds large and with more realistic patterns or backgrounds. I recently found out that her partner Bonnie was doing something similar to her back and although my first thought wasn't inspired by her, I'm just posting it. Also check out her Instagram , her photos are amazing. I didn't know it was an experiment and it worked, I just focused on a flat and simple bottom in my post today.

This blog is for adult collectors. If you are an obstacle in this subject, I suggest that you ask an adult to help you with this project. To start up.

For this project you will need:
  • Gray cardboard / loading plate.
  • Trim, if possible, with a new razor.
  • Cutting chart.
  • Handmade acrylic painting.
  • Primer (gypsum works well).
  • Brush.

I started by deciding on the size of my rooms. The cardboard sheets are very large, 105 x 75 cm (41.3 x 29.5 inches), which allows me to create a good background. I decided to make my artwork 65x50 cm (25.6x19.7 inches). I hadn't intended to make them so big, but while meditating I realized that it would be easier to take group photos or pretend to be part of it. To use my site well, I plan it as follows:



One piece will be the wall and the other will be the floor. The remaining two parts below will be the sound components of the wall.

The first step is to cut the pieces. This part is a bit useless because the material is heavy and the sheet is so big that it is not easy to work with. I had to separate because my cutting board was too small. I found it helpful to have a quick straight cut and follow the line to make the cut deeper. For those of you wondering why I don't use the X-acto knife, the last time I worked with this thing I struggled and eventually broke the razor.



It was a bit difficult at first, but after cutting the first pieces it became much easier to do.

Once everything is cut, it's time to prepare the pieces. I knew it would be easier to apply later, so I decided to use plaster as a primer. A lady at a craft store says that PVA glue can also work as a primer, but I can't say for sure because I've never tried it.



The wind was a little strong so this piece lasted me a little longer than expected and I had to work with the windows open. As it was very hot at that time, I tried to work on the boat in the morning or evening so that I could work without AA. One thing I noticed when refilling was a slight scratch when the board was dry. I put some weight on it and the material returns to normal. Once both sides are painted, there is no rotation or shape on the board.



According to the manufacturer, it took 24 hours for the gesso to dry, but I can dye it at that temperature. Let's start with the ground. As I wanted to do as many colors as possible, I decided to make one side black and the other white. I used aculux acrylic paint, which you have already seen on this blog. Because the brush comes in a small bottle, it is very easy to paint and brush with the bottle. However, you can use any color you like.

Titan Acualux negro mate


Of all the colors you use in this range of acrylic rugs , this is the hardest to turn white. After 1 cheap acrylic coating and 2 aculux coatings , it still looks a bit damaged. It also had a slightly yellow color compared to other white products I used. I didn't get mad at him because I hope he doesn't shine too much when I shoot.



I painted one side of the wall as black as the floor. I wanted a completely black background and I feel like black on cardboard always has a white on top.



On the other hand, I used this American acrylic in true blue . I used it last time and it looks good on most toys (see here or here ). I think Aculex is more distributed, more efficient, and generally better than the US . However, when the United States has a very wide range of shades, Aquilax is quite impressive. After 3 coats I still see damage, but I might use another coat in the future.

Americana Acrylics True Blue

Now let's get to the details. First, I applied a very uneven coat of black acrylic paint. I don't think so because I use the other products above.
On the one hand, I chose dazzling metal with black pearl decor ( made from the same American and acrylic). The problem with black metal is that you can't make black metal out of it and all black metal will be gray black or gunmetal.

Decoart Dazzling Metallics black pearl


On the other hand, I chose the glitter color Glamor Dust on black ice . I couldn't find this product in the country, so I bought it last year while on vacation in Madrid. I bought four shades and haven't tried them yet. I didn't expect this as I thought it would be brighter and some glittery elements would be black. I had to give 3 coats to get what I wanted.

Glamour Dust Black ice on black background




For the second part I chose this Aculux color in the shade fuchsia (fuchsia). This satin formula isn't as good as their material, but it still works. I painted both sides the same color.

Titan Acualux FĂșcsia Satinado


For one thing, I decided to do a little experiment and decided to cover it with Glamor Dust in Shade Ice Crystal . It should be a bright flash that can be used in any color. The shiny dots are multi-colored to suit as many colors as possible. I just applied a coat on it and it looks very uneven but I just wanted to try it.

Glamour Dust Ice Crystal



Now is the time to make sure my little experiment really works. Let's start with a completely black background. I read recently that it's very difficult to take a photo against a completely dark background, so it might not be a good idea. Let's start with Toralei on a completely dark background.

Signature Toralei black background


And the same photo plus a black metal band. There is something else behind. Forgive me for the poor quality, I didn't know they weren't good until I started editing.

Signature Toralei black and silver background


Now let's try the reflective side. Although not what I expected, it looks good on camera.

Toralei Stripe black and glitter background


Now let's turn the shiny yarn pink. I'm still missing something in the background, but I think it fits really well with Victorian clothing.

backgrounds doll photography black pink

Here is a picture of how I installed it. Attach a large blackboard to the wall and cover the sound section with a poster.



Now is the time for the blue background. Kim and BMR 1959 (I think it will be the name of a thousand) stand on blue ground with white ground.

BMR 1959 Pazette Made to Move True Blue Background


The pink dots give a nice look to the blue background. It suits a doll as bright as Hawley very well.

13 Wishes Howleen Wolf True Blue Background


I didn't put much effort into these photos because I wanted to do a quick shot for a background effect. However, this summer I will try to take more photos in a new background and try to take better photos.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the bottom. I made a few mistakes that I need to fix in future projects. I think I made them very large and can cut them into small pieces, which makes drawing easier. I say the parts are good, but very tight. The blue wall was probably too short for another coat and maybe another brush because what I used was the hardest. Although the performance is better, the idea is good, I think it needs to be improved.



I hope you enjoyed this article because it took me forever to write it. I definitely want to write a second year and try to create more realistic or "family" backgrounds. I also like to have more fun. I'm always thinking about creating a gradient effect and I want to have green, yellow or citrus.

When I came to my next article, I was a bit lost and uninspired. I have a small jewelry box that I want to renovate into a dollhouse and some craft ideas that I want to bring to life this summer. However, posting creations takes a lot of time, so I think my next article is about pop photography. Some of you seem very interested in seeing the behind-the-scenes text, and I'll definitely be reviewing it.

As always, let me know in the comments section if you have any questions about how I did something. Recommendations for a future descent are also welcome. I hope you are doing well this summer and see you soon in my next article.

Monster craft.


Check out the Photo Phones account to see more photos.



Stay tuned





Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url