Were my predictions about Mattel right?

In August 2018, I wrote an article called 8 Things I Want to See from Mattel in 2019 . In this article I have compiled a list of dreams that other Barbie collectors would like to see in the series. We are now in April 2021, so it would be fair to look back to see if Mattel has anything on the list.

I just want to mention that I started writing this post before the announcement of the re-launch of Monster High , so I left it in the form of a draft and started working on it. Then I forgot about it for a few weeks and thought it was a good time to finish it because I had no plans for the blog.

The original text of the message is in italics. I missed a few steps that are not very relevant, but you can always go back to the original և read the full text. But let's stop wandering and start writing. 


Designed for Ken movements with rooted hair and skin of at least 4 different skin tones . (...) Of course, I would like to see Ken's wide, slender body in the MTM version, but we will leave it in 2020.

Well, we have Ken To Move dolls, but in 2020. Unfortunately, they were part of the collection line (BMR 1959), not the game line, that is, they were more expensive. They have rooted hair, at least 2 of which, and the others are hair on the stem. We do not yet have an empty or skinny Ken Made To Move, to be honest, I do not think it will ever happen. And if that's the case, it's probably very expensive for collectors.



Small և tall, born to move . It's time for Mattel. Yes, I know that new bodies are stylish, they look the most popular, but our miniatures, long dolls, need working elbows. But please do not try to find them or keep them unique.

That was good. Unfortunately, Mattel has made some dubious choices here. They came with a long doll (basketball player) with a very unusual skin color. Then the Made To Move dolls disappeared within a few years to return as a collector (BMR1959 dolls). They made a long doll (long hair with a pink hat) and a miniature (orange dress with a dog coat). A new range of MTM dolls has been announced, but long, miniature dolls do not appear.

My problem with this is that creating a new body type requires some investment, as you have to develop 3D models և create a new composition to be able to produce them. To make this type of doll, all this work does not seem so smart. I may be crazy, but if they sold more dolls with this body type, it would be faster to repay their investment. That's what people are willing to buy, does Mattel not want to ... make money?



Beautiful line for movement in 3 or 4 different skin colors . As I'm the most popular in new bodies, I'm sure it will be a hit.

That did not happen. I think there are 4 beautiful MTM bodies: dancer, floral yoga pants, BMR1959 և one in the new channel. And while that's not bad, I think they can do more. I bet if they released more beautiful MTM dolls, they would be exhausted.



The range of Deluxe Fashionistas with fashionable bodies և quality fashionable clothes . They can also create thematic channels, such as "Spring Time", "Back to School", "Noon" ... (...)

It happened, but it did not happen as I expected or expected. I think the new Barbie Xtra can be considered a kind of "luxury fashion". She has fun and colorful clothes, but I can not talk about the quality, because I do not have it. They are not exactly my style or close to my imagination, but they are definitely a step in the right direction. We hope that Mattel will continue to expand this line և add similar ones instead of eliminating them after a successful launch.



Back to fashion. Do you remember the era of Fashion Avenue? It was amazing. The quality was excellent և sometimes they had a theme. He had clothes for Chelsea (later Kelly). They can also fit into the current theme of the Fashionistas series I mentioned above.

ball! If anything, fashion has gotten worse. Most of the models I see are wide, with no pressure on the back. They have developed favorite fashion packages, such as the Puma or now the Billabong collection, but this is an exception, not as high quality as before. More than I've seen, many of them no longer contain shoes, which I think makes the backpack less valuable.



Stop "One size fits all". because it actually looks more like "one size fits all". I would like to see a unique design for each type of figure. They could always get a small line to test the water, and if they succeeded, they could grow it.

I've had a really hot time after buying the Barbie Fashion Package, but it seems to me that they are still making the right clothes. I've not seen fashion packs focused on a particular body type in years, I do not think Mattel will. My only hope for this is that they match the individual images of different body types, make fashion packages for these images (as they did with Generation Girls ).


In general, more complex formations . I'm sure Mattel has the potential to surprise us, but sometimes they play it safe. The performances of the 90s were great, doing something did not seem so crazy. There were even some mail games.

In recent years, Mattel has done amazing things that can be considered "difficult" or at least interesting. I think the BMR line of 1959 was a bit complicated, but it's not what I imagined. There is a lot of variety among fashionistas, vitiligo dolls, prosthetic legs, etc. can be considered interesting. With the exception of these beautiful dolls, however, most of the dolls in this series look like "stuffed dolls". Recently I have not seen a game set that will surprise me. I would say it worked, but only halfway. They have done a good job, but there is still room for improvement. 


Start listening to their fans. There are many bloggers and collectors who would like to give you their honest opinions and suggestions. Frankly, many collectors want very simple things like good quality products և more expressive dolls.

Mattel's problem is that they listen for a minute and give consumers what they want, but then take two steps back, which confuses consumers. The vitiligo model was highly appreciated, which is why they decided to introduce him, which may mean that they are listening. Customers, on the other hand, wanted more "Made to Move" dolls and decided not to release them for more than a year. When they finally returned, they were collectors. I may be wrong, but I think it makes sense to give your customers what they really want. am i crazy


It turned out that only half of my wishes / predictions came true, most of them came true only in 2020. Frankly, I do not think it takes anything crazy or impossible to repeat my original list. A company worth a million dollars like Mattel, but it seems very difficult to them.

I hope you enjoyed this article. This is a little different from my regular posts, but it was interesting to see what I hope to see in 2018 from Mattel. The next post will be only at the beginning of May, it will consist of photos. Recently, I was busy with two blogs trying to take photos for Instagram, as well as real things like finding a job, going to classes before finding a job. I always want to write on this blog, but I do not want to force myself to write regularly so that I can finish publishing. But you can expect at least one job a month until I get a job or continue my life.

I'll have to send an email to everyone who subscribes to this blog that you will stop receiving these emails from July 2021. It's not me, but Feedburner has decided to discontinue this service. I'm trying to figure out how to unsuccessfully make all the contacts I have registered for. I do not think I have a lot of email subscribers, maybe 1 or 2 (if there are any), but I need to let you know. If you're also interested in staying with this blog, you can start using any blog reader or RSS feed.

So what do you think of my predictions? What would you like to see from Mattel?

Until we meet again


Monster craft.

PS I'm starting to use a larger font in my posts, so let me know if you can read it better or if you prefer a smaller font.

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url