Outdoors, but make it indoors

Street doll pictures are one of my favorites. They add depth and texture to photos and can really add pop to your photos. When I compose photos, outdoor photos tend to be one of my favorites. But sometimes we may or may not want to go out to take pictures. So, I thought for a moment how I could feel comfortable in my own home.

Cover: Shea and Kim outdoors.

The idea has been in my head for about a year and I finally wrote a post about it. Not everyone has access to a beautiful garden with a pond where they can pick up dolls whenever they want. Many people feel uncomfortable going out with dolls in public, or maybe not for some reason (like when we're locked up). Or maybe you live in an area where outdoor photography is limited due to the weather. I also noticed your comment on The Great Outdoor Post , which mentions difficulty kneeling or going to certain places in the dollhouse. So, with all of this in mind, I started thinking about ideas for creating an outdoor atmosphere in my doll's room.

The first idea that came to my mind was very simple: artificial plants. I recently discovered this vertical garden at Leroy Merlin , which is a popular home and garden shop here. There are several designs available, but I chose Boxwood ( Boxwood Evergreen ) because the leaves are smaller and I thought they would look better against a doll background. My size is 50 x 50 cm (1.64 x 1.64 ft) and I think it's a good size. I would have liked it wider, but another available size is 1 x 1 meter (3.28 x 3.28 feet) which I think is too big to fit on my desk.


There is a net behind the vertical garden that allows me to weave some feathers so I can put them on my drawing table. Lastly, to add a bit of color, I can glue some fake flowers to the grid.


Since I use my desk as a drawing table, I can paste wallpaper with background holes without sticking to the wall. However, if your desk doesn't have a back screen or similar, be careful with the tape or you'll damage the walls.



I took some pictures of the dolls to see what they looked like. While there's not a lot of detail here, I think it looks good and adds a bit of texture to the background.


Since the doll in this photo is near the wall, it looks more artificial than where the doll went and this is a must. I also don't know what's wrong with the brightness here.


I don't use anything to set up my desk. Many patios or decks seem to have hardwood floors, so I thought it might look realistic. However, you can always separate the floor or use artificial turf to cover the table.

I wanted to try adding more detail, so I brought some of my plants home to see if they could add more dimension to the image. Here's how I set up my table:


The tree on the right is a mallow I bought from Lidl last summer (like Aldi ). I think they sell this plant every year as a "mosquito repellent" because I think they have more lemongrass. On the left we have the Bonsai Fix which we also got on Lidl. Sounds like a mess, but we have to make it work.

At first I was afraid the real plants would make the background more plastic, but it's beautiful. It's a little difficult to find the right angle for the flowers in the photo, but I think they look pretty. The flowers are a bit disproportionate, but I'll fix that.


I have some photos of Victoria with bonsai. Even if the finish is good, be careful not to expose the back of the pan or table. Actually, I had to crop the photo to hide some of the "errors".


I took these photos on different days and in between I had to remove the vertical garden. So, the next day I gathered everything, I decided to glue a sheet of gray cardboard, to fill the gap between the wall and the tabletop and close the vertical garden. I chose gray to make it look like a concrete wall.


We've been getting new trees recently and recently gone and one of the newest additions is the pomegranate bonsai which looks perfect for dolls.


I wish I could try a pomegranate tree that hasn't been in my photos for a long time. I had to hold the dummy up high so I could hit a long shot without the pot and I'm very happy with the result.


While there is still room for improvement, I am still very happy with the results. I would say object placement and photo frames are the key to success.


Of course, you don't have to do anything like I did. If you can't or don't want to start a vertical garden, you can use other items you can have around the house: bamboo mats, magazine clips, or something earthy. If you have hanging plants like ivy, you can use them to create the illusion of being outside.

I plan to expand this concept into a future blog post, or at least include some "behind the scenes" information in the image selection. I've been thinking about creating a patio or backyard landscape for a long time that could be permanent or semi-permanent. The only problem is that it will take a long time to do this, but I don't have much storage at the moment. So far, it should be an outdoor scene.


Say what you think about this idea in the comments section. I always pay attention to what you say. Will you try?

I don't know when my next post will be. I have some unfinished craft projects, and now that the drawing table is empty again, I can try to finish them. Until then, I hope you are all safe.

monster vehicle.

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url