How to: Textured off-white wall. An experiment

If you've been following my blog for the past few years, you'll know that I've focused on creating backgrounds for my doll photos. I've done some coloring, but the last thing I did was look for a more realistic look. Overall, I'm quite happy with the results I got, but sometimes my background seems blank. One of my favorite doll bloggers, Bonequea , always has photos of beautiful dolls that often don't have a lot of furniture but don't feel empty. I was starting to think that maybe the fabric walls would provide a more complete view. So I decided to give it a try.


I read Boneque a while ago He used bold paint to create the texture of the blog, but not too much detail. So I took the phrase "bold paint" as a reference and decided to experiment a bit and create my own textured wall. Keep in mind that this project is an experiment, so I don't really know how it will turn out when I get started. It might face south but could be painted over it.

I started this project in April but let it work on another project and almost forgot about it until now. I almost remember how I did it, but it's not like it started and ended the same week.

For this project, you will need the same materials you will use for the walls: cardboard, acrylic paint, and a brush. I also recommend using an acrylic substrate depending on what paint you use.

I did this project behind a wall I already had. I'm going to skip this part because it's cut and ready, but you can read my first mix and match article if you need more information.


I don't have much of a thick acrylic consistency other than a few basic colors including white. I don't think white just creates a spectacular texture, so I need a base color. My intention was to create subtle colors from a white base and then texture with pure white.

White acrylic paint with a drop of grey inside a cup

In a plastic cup, I mixed white acrylic paint with gray to get a color similar to plaster. I started by adding a dove gray but since it was too subtle, I added a darker gray. I also added a teaspoon of medium acrylic, as thick acrylic paint doesn't flow well on these surfaces and can be a bit shiny.


One teaspoon of medium
add support


I tried the paint on the wall to see if I liked the color. I went through the process several times until I was satisfied with the color. My advice is to let it dry a bit as the color can change a lot from wet to dry.

I kept adding and testing grays until I was happy with what I got. I saw the whole process, so I can't go into too much detail. So I started painting my picture.


As a result, I'm not sure if I made the right decision. Will it be too dark? Too easy? I want it to be a smooth side, but not as smooth as you don't see on camera.


For comparison, I took an image with my dove gray walls (shown in the painted illustration post ) and a beige base with new walls.

The gray dove (left) and the new wall (right)

A few months later, it's time to start white knitting. White seems to offer a bit of contrast, so let's give it a try.

I took some paint with a brush and started making messy strokes in one corner to test it out. I believe this technique is called "dry brush" so your brush should be light on the paint. I would recommend using stiff or coarse bristles instead of a soft brush. It worked better for me.



I was happy with the test, so I continued. The moves I make to achieve this effect are similar to trying to draw a wide "X" with a few random strokes here and there.


Eventually, I got to a point where I was happy with what I had.


Once the paint is completely dry, it's time to test how it looks on camera. I was a little impatient so I grabbed my Vitiligo wrist and took some quick photos. It looks pretty boring without the furniture, but at least I didn't go down without explaining myself first.


Let's try some photos to see how it looks with the furniture.


The previous photo looked too cold, so I brought a coral console to add color and warmth to the scene.


In this photo, Rosie is sitting on a pink sofa from IKEA. It's good, but the texture doesn't really stand out because I'm using the phone's portrait mode. I layered the same sofa for this first photo of Victoria to turn the whole thing into a yellow fabric.


I wasn't very happy with the photos I took on the first day, so I started them a few days later when inspired. I'm trying to make a bedroom instead of a living room. I covered a box with a white cloth and made it look like a bed. Chloe is so beautiful here.


I finished sewing this pillow and took these photos in a few days, so I included them in almost every photo I took that day. I really like this photo of Leah, but I realized I needed to sew more pillows to make the scene more complete. Headboards can also help.

Lea laying in bed

I like the wall effect itself, but because it's gray and neutral, it looks a bit dull. I also think that almost all of my furniture and accessories are related to neutrals because I designed them to work with colored walls. This wall could possibly use some colorful elements or just something to contrast the grays. But the technique itself works, so I can always try to make a similar wall in a different color.


I also thought about using sponges to create textures when I was planning this project, so this is another experiment I could do this year. I currently have another project that I want to complete before I create another wall.

I hope you enjoyed this article. I don't know if I'll be posting much in July because I've been very busy this month. As some of you know, we move when a pandemic hits, things stop. But now that everything is back to normal, we are slowly walking away from where we left off. We're getting new furniture next week, so we'll probably be busy assembling the furniture and putting it all together. I can't wait to finally have a decent dining area instead of eating at a collapsible plastic folding table. We also had to take off my old car, which was over 18 years old. It made me a little sad because it was my first car but not worth keeping.

I hope you have a wonderful summer staying safe and healthy.


monster craft


Similar messages:

How: A doll-sized painting.

How To: Mix And Match The Background (Part 2)

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url