How to: Textured off-white wall. An experiment

If you've been following my blog for two years, you know that I put a lot of effort into creating a background for my pop photos. I did a few colors, but the last colors I did became more realistic. In general, I am very satisfied with the results, but sometimes my past seems empty. My favorite pop blogger, Bonequea , has these beautiful pop photos that don't always have a lot of furniture, but don't look empty. I started thinking it might be a textured wall that would make the scene more complete. So I decided to try.


I studied at Bonequea a while ago In the blog, he uses thick paint to create the texture, but didn't share many details about it. So I took the phrase "thick paint" as a reference and decided to experiment a bit and create my own textured wall. Keep in mind that this project is a test, so I don't know what will happen after work begins. There is a chance of pointing south, but hey, it can be painted over.

I started this project in April, but I put it aside to work on other projects, and so far I have almost forgotten. I almost remember how I did it, but it's nothing new that I started and finished this week.

This project will require the same materials you will use for your wall design: sticky cards, acrylic paint, and brushes. Depending on what paint you are using, I would recommend getting some acrylic medium.

I'm already doing this project behind the wall. Since it's already cut, I'll skip that part, but if you need more info, you can see my first mix and match post .


There aren't many acrylic paints apart from a few basic colors, including white, which has a thicker consistency. I don't think it just creates a texture that looks white, so I need a base color. My plan is to create a texture with a subtle pure white base color and then pure white.

White acrylic paint with a drop of grey inside a cup

In a plastic cup, I mixed some white acrylic paint with some gray to create a gypsum-like color. I started adding a little dove gray , but it was very thin, so I added dark gray. I added a teaspoon of acrylic medium, as sometimes dense acrylic paint doesn't flow well on this surface and can be a bit shiny.


One teaspoon of medium
Add media


I looked at the paint on the wall to see if I liked the color. I did the process several times until I was happy with the color. My advice is to let it dry out a bit, as the color can vary greatly from age to age.

I kept experimenting with adding gray until I was happy with what I got. I watched the whole process, so I can't go into too much detail. Then I started drawing my painting.


I'm not sure I made the right decision. Will it be too dark? Too easy? I want a subtle difference, but it's not so subtle that you can't see it on camera.


For comparison, I drew a picture of my pigeon with a gray wall (see the post with colored paints ) and a new cream-based wall.

Pigeon gray (left) and new walls (right)

A few months pass quickly, it's time to create textures with white paint. White provides some contrast, so give it a try.

I took some paint with a brush and started making random brush strokes in a corner to check it out. I believe this technique is called "dry brushing", so your brush should have very little paint. I would recommend using a hard or thick bristle brush instead of a soft brush. Works well for me.



I was satisfied with the test, so I continued. My move to achieve this effect is like trying to draw a wide "X" here and there with a few random strokes.


I finally got to the point where I was happy with what I had.


Once the paint is completely dry, it's time to check how it looks in the camera. I was a bit impatient, so I grabbed a vitiligo doll and quickly snapped some pictures. It looks very boring without furniture, but at least I know the bill will be visible on camera.


Let's try some pictures with furniture and see how it looks.


The previous photo is very pretty, so I brought in a coral console table to add some color and warmth to the scene.


In this photo, Rozi is sitting on a pink IKEA sofa. It's nice to see, but since I've been using the phone's portrait mode, the texture is no different. For this first photo of Victoria, I covered the same sofa in yellow fabric to change everything.


I wasn't very happy with the photos I took on the first day, so I tried again a few days later when I was more inspired. Instead of creating the living room look, I tried to create the bedroom look. I covered a box with a white cloth and thought it was a bed. Chloe is very pretty here.


I took these photos just a few days after I finished sewing the pillow, so I included them in almost every photo I took that day. I really like this photo of Lean, but it made me realize that I still have to work on the pillow to make the scene more complete. The title may help.

Lea laying in bed

I like the effect of the wall itself, but it looks a bit boring because it's gray and neutral. I think this is because almost all of my furniture and accessories are very neutral, as I designed them to work with colored walls. Maybe this wall can use colorful objects or just something that contrasts with the gray. But the technique itself worked, so I can always try to create a similar wall with different colors.


While planning this project, I was also thinking of using a sponge to create an invoice, so another experiment to do later this year. I currently have other projects that I want to complete before building another wall.

Hope you enjoyed this article. I don't know if I can send a lot in July, because I have a lot of work to do this month. Some of you know that when we returned home many stopped when the plague broke out. But now everything is back to normal, we are slowly coming back from where we left off. We'll be buying new furniture next week, so we'll probably be assembling the furniture and setting everything up. Instead of eating on a plastic folding table, I can't wait to finally have a suitable dining table. I also have to get rid of my car, which is over 18 years old. It makes me a little sad to have my first car, but it's not good to keep it.

I wish you all a great, safe and healthy summer.


monster ships


Related Items:

How to: draw a doll

How to: mix a "suitable" wallpaper (Part 2)

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url