How to: new wainscot design (Mix'n'Match backgrounds)

If you’ve been following my blog for about a year, you’ll probably know that I pay close attention to my photos. Sometimes the background can make a huge difference in your photos: I work hard to get the results I get from the moment I start trying. But if I want to have a lot of dioramas, scenes for all occasions, I have no place to store them, and that, I’m sure, is a problem for some of you. So I came up with the idea for a Mix'n'Match background , which allows you to create different scenes with a few elements that you can combine.


In “Part 2” of this series, I was bleaching, or if I liked the effect, I think I could put more effort into the next design. I wanted to do more posters in September, but I finally got the chance. And since I received a lot of positive feedback about Part 2, I found it great to share it step by step here.

We will need approximately the same resources as last time for this job.

  • bind the cardboard.
  • Useful knife with a sharp blade.
  • primary:
  • Glue, sticky, white glue.
  • handmade painting
  • Ale box.

I started cutting my posters to the size I wanted. I used the rest of the previous piece, which was already the width of the wall. The first one I made is 18cm high, which makes it look great when the doll is standing. But in the picture I have of the sitting dolls, the color of the walls is hard to see. So this time I decided to make it a little shorter: 16 cm (6.3 inches). The rest of the piece is 17cm long, so I will use it to make another panel later.


I cut the pieces for the top and bottom cover. It is enough to make 3 pieces in the other parts. I made 1, 1.5 և 2 cm (0.39, 0.59 և 0.79 inches, respectively). I started this craft a long time ago, where I couldn't find any more photos of the cutting process.

Now it's time to dump her and move on. Although the plaster is water-based, I find the smell quite strong, lasting for a while, similar to the smell of a newly painted house. So when I use it, I like to ventilate my craft room for a few hours so that it doesn’t leave a smell for a long time. Since it’s winter here, I paint my room around 10:00 so I can open it in the hottest part of the day.


Remember to varnish the two sides so that they do not bend.

Initially I would use a 2 cm bleed at the bottom և 1.5 cm bleed at the top, but I thought it would be too big. So I fit in with the lower 1.5 and the lower one.


Now is the time to do things differently than before. I want to add some vertical lines to add more detail to the panel. Draw a few lines in the copy box. I made mine 1.2 cm (0.47 inch) wide, but you can make it as wide as you want.


I decided to create these layers using a copy box, instead of the same connection board, because I wanted them to be smaller than the top-bottom edges. You can control the thickness by applying several layers. However, you can use a stick or something. Skip this step.

Cut something.


Before I cut it all off, it took me a while to plan how wide I wanted it to be. I think it would be a good distance of 14 cm (5.5 inches).


Measure the distance between the top and bottom panels and mark the lines on the cereal box. Cut them out.




I recommend that you make sure your parts fit well before proceeding.


Put և enough glue to get the desired thickness. In my case, I saw that 2 pieces would fit. I like clothes pegs / hooks to hold together, but don't leave them on for long periods of time.


After drying, glue with white glue. I started sticking from left to right. I fell 12 cm (4.7 inches) between the “first layer” of the edge because I didn’t want the last piece too close to the edge.


Take the time to make sure these sections are correct and that there is no glue peeling off the edges. I used a square ruler to make sure everything was in perfect order. This rule is probably as old as me.

I like to squeeze it and let it dry a bit.

Now my favorite part is choosing the color of the paint. The color you choose may depend on the color you choose for your walls. If you have neutral walls, you can create a neutral panel or use it as a color brightness option. If you have very light colored walls, you can use something neutral to smooth them out. You can also combine color panels with colored walls, which can be impressive, but I find it more difficult. Since most of my walls are colorful, I chose a neutral color for this gray.


I usually need two layers to get the same edge, maybe a touch here and there if the surface isn’t very smooth.


Well, I think we're done.


Now it’s time to look at how our bulletin boards look on some of our walls. Let's start with the last one I made, the orchid. I added a pink chair and a plant in a basket to give more details to the scene. Although the pink chairs are not the same color as the walls, they go well with the contrast of the gray.

I tried to get the dolls closer to the camera to see what they looked like from a distance.

I also wanted to see how it compares to other colors, so let’s try the blue wall. Leah was very happy with her appearance.


Remember that these wallpapers are designed to add something special to your doll photos, so dolls should be the center of attention.


I was dying for some reason to find out how it would stay on my beige walls. I like the way I mix the two colors, I don’t think that combination will go well with my dolls or furniture. I think they are very bright by comparison. However, I see how perfect it would be with some medieval furniture և with other types of dolls.

Finally my Sea Breeze wall. I like the monkey, but I find Leah very pale. Maybe next time it will be fixed by a hot flare.

Overall, I am very happy with the results. At the time of construction, I was afraid it would look a bit clunky, but sometimes the decor is bad until the last step. I wanted to replicate this design in corals, play with the cut sizes so I could see it later in the year.

I hope all is well. The situation here is so dire that we are almost isolated at home. As soon as I clicked to post my last post, Mr. Hresh informed me that he would be working from home until mid-February because his company did not want to take any risks. So now she works in a craft room and I make and paint dolls. I have some projects on my list that need to be completed, but they are still pending. It’s not a big deal, as I have enough craft supplies at home to create content for March.


I want to know what you think about this project. I hope the instructions are clear, but if you have any questions, please let me know in the comments section or check out my previous post. I know the flash can be seen in some distant handcrafted photos, but I work with natural light, which can be unpredictable. I have other prerequisites in mind: diorama projects, but if you have any suggestions, they are welcome.

See my next article, which is in February. Be careful


monster craft



Similar messages.

How. Mix and match Part 1:

Coral tiles for spring diorama


My Cooking Blog: Cooking with MC

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url