How to: making Mix and Match backgrounds for doll photography

If you follow my blog last year, you'll know that some of my content is about background photos of dolls. They can really help make the doll stand out and smooth, as well as smooth the picture, especially if, like me, you don’t have the right photographic skills or equipment. In this post I wrote last year, I made my own colorful backgrounds using cereal boxes and handcrafted paint. The problem was that it was too small, and the doll could only be photographed above the waist. After writing this post, I started thinking about what I could use to create beautiful murals, but it wasn’t hard to find or too expensive. Finally, somewhere in late August or early September, I came up with this idea, and I really wanted to try it out. Unfortunately, life and movement came to a standstill, and so far they have not been able to do so.



The basic idea is to do something that isn’t too complex, that doesn’t take up a lot of disk space, and allows you to tweak the script a bit. I saw that they sell this gray cardboard (or assembly board) that is very cheap and easy to paint in craft stores. I don’t know exactly what it’s called, but it’s what they use to make disc covers. I’ve used it to make a template before and although it’s hard to cut, I thought it would work.



The original idea was to create some simple backgrounds and accents of different colors and combine them inspired by magazine / publisher images (you can see some examples here ). Then the idea spread and I thought it would be great to have more realistic backgrounds or patterned backgrounds. I recently found out that a college classmate named Bonekea is doing something similar to his past, and even though my original idea wasn’t inspired by him, I want to share it. Also, check out her Instagram , her photos are great. Since this was an experiment and I didn’t know it would actually work, in today’s post I’ll focus only on simple backgrounds.

Full Responsibility: This blog is for adult collectors. If you are a child who has stumbled upon this message, I suggest you ask an adult to help you with this project. Let's get started.

For this project you will need:
  • Gray cardboard / circuit board.
  • Cutter, preferably with a new shovel.
  • cutting board
  • Handmade paint / acrylic paint.
  • Primer (good plaster).
  • brushes

I started to decide what size my piece should be. The cardboard sheets are quite large, measuring 41.3 x 29.5 inches (105 x 75 cm), which allows me to make a large bottom. I decided to make my piece 65 x 50 cm (25.6 x 19.7 inches). I didn’t plan on doing that much, but during the measurement I realized that it would be easier if I wanted to take group photos, or even imagine that it was a room. To get the most out of my article, I organized it as follows:



One part will be the wall and the other the floor. The other two pieces below will be accented on the wall.

The first step is to cut the pieces. This part is a bit difficult because the material is hard and the blade is too big. The cutting mat is so small where I had to cut it. I have found that it is advisable to make a quick, straight and shallow cut and then continue to make a deeper cut along the line. For those of you wondering why I don’t use something like an X-act knife, the last time I worked with this thing I found it very difficult to use it and eventually broke the shovel.



It was a little difficult at first, but once the first pieces were cut, it was much easier to follow.

Once everything is cut, it’s time to prepare the details. I will use plaster as a primer because I know it is easy to paint later. An art supply store employee mentioned that PVA glue can also be used as a base, but since I’ve never tried it, I can’t be sure.



This part took me a little longer than I expected because the smell was a bit strong and I had to work with the windows open. It was very hot in those days, so I tried to work in the office early in the morning or in the afternoon to get the job done without AA. As I was preparing, I noticed that the plate was a bit rough as the plate dried. I put on some weight and the part went back to normal. Once both sides are covered, the board leaves no scratches or deformation.



According to the manufacturer, the plaster dries in 24 hours, but at that temperature you can probably paint earlier. Let's start with the floor. Since I want to work in as many colors as possible, I decided to make one side black and the other white. I used an acrylic paint called Acualux , which you may have seen on this blog. Since the brush comes in a small bowl, it is very easy to put the brush into the jar and paint it. However, you can use any paint you want.

Titan Acualux negro mate


Of all the colors I’ve used for this type of Acualux rug, white is the hardest to work with. After applying one coat of cheaper acrylic and two coats of Aqualux , it was still slightly stained. Also, compared to the other white products I've used, it's a bit yellowish in color. I’m not angry when I hope I’m not taking too much light when I’m taking pictures.



On one side of the wall, I painted one side black with the floor. I wanted the background to be completely black, and the dark colors on the cards always seemed to have a white color on them.



On the other hand, I used real Americana acrylic. I’ve used it in the past and it looks great on most of my wrists (see here or here ). I think Aculux distributes better, outperforms, and is generally of better quality than Americana . However, the American has a very wide range of colors and the Aculux is less impressive. I still see some stains after layer 3, but may apply another layer in the future.

Americana Acrylics True Blue

Now let’s go over the details. I applied an irregular layer of black acrylic paint for the first time. Since I will be using the other products listed above, I don't think it will matter.
For example, I chose Decoart’s Dazzling Metallics in Black Pearl ( the same brand as American Acrylic). The problem with metallic black is that you can’t make metallic black and any metallic black will be dark gray or metallic in color.

Decoart Dazzling Metallics black pearl


On the other hand, I opted for a shiny Glamor Dust polish on Black ice . I couldn’t find this product around me and bought it last year while I was on holiday in Madrid. I've bought four shades and haven't tried them yet. It wasn’t what I expected, because I thought it would be brighter and some of the brightness would be black. I had to put 3 layers to get what I wanted.

Glamour Dust Black ice on black background




For the second drawing, I chose Aculox Fuchsia . Its matte finish isn’t as good as its matte finish, but it will still work. Both sides are painted the same color.

Titan Acualux FĂșcsia Satinado


For example, I decided to do a little experiment and cover it with glam powder in Ice Crystal . This is a glossy varnish that can be used in any color. Multicolored sequins with the idea of ​​combining as many colors as possible. I put on a single coat and it looks pretty little, but I wanted to try it on.

Glamour Dust Ice Crystal



Now it’s time to check that my little experiment really works. Let’s start with a completely black background. I recently read that it’s very difficult to take pictures on a completely black background, so it probably wasn’t the best idea. Let’s start with Toralei on a black background.

Signature Toralei black background


And a similar pattern with a black metal band. It adds something else to the background. Sorry for the poor quality, I didn't realize it was very good until I started editing.

Signature Toralei black and silver background


Let's try the bright side now. Although not what I expected, it looks good with the camera.

Toralei Stripe black and glitter background


Now let's change the bright ribbon to pink. The background is still missing, but I think it fits very well with Victoria's outfit.

backgrounds doll photography black pink

Here is a picture of everything installed. I attached a large picture to the wall and a decorative element with a decorative sticker.



Now is the time for the blue background. Kim and BIS 1959 (I think they will be called Shi) are in front of a blue wall with a white floor.

BMR 1959 Pazette Made to Move True Blue Background


The pink ribbon gives a fun touch to the blue background. Perfect for a bright doll like Howlin.

13 Wishes Howleen Wolf True Blue Background


I didn’t put much effort into these photos because I wanted to take a quick photo to get the background effect. However, this summer I will try to take more pictures with new backgrounds and try to take better pictures.

Overall, I am very pleased with the picture. I have made some mistakes that I will have to correct in future projects. I think I made it too big and could cut it into smaller pieces which makes it easier to color. The accent pieces are good, but I would say they are pretty tight. The blue wall definitely needs a different layer and maybe another brush like the one I used was too hard. While the implementation could have been better, I think it’s a good idea, it just needs work.



I hope you enjoyed this post because it took me a long time to write it. I definitely want to write the second part, trying to make the background more realistic or “homemade”. I would also like to make some of them more fun. So far I have been thinking of creating a gradient effect and I would also like it to be yellowish green or acid green.

As for my next post, I’m a little lost and uninspired at the moment. I have a little jewelry box that I want to turn into a doll decoration and some craft ideas that I want to make this summer. However, the placement literally takes the most time, so I think my next post will be about the photo of the dolls. It was very interesting to see the message for both of you to shoot and I will definitely remember.

As always, let me know what you think in the comments section and if you have any questions about how to do it. Suggestions for upcoming funding are also welcome. I hope everyone is safe this summer and see you in my next post.

craft monsters.


To view more murals, go to the Murals tab .



Let's keep in touch:





Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url