Behind the scenes: inspired by Barbie Style

If you follow my articles on editing photos, you will soon know that I am not in the mood for pop photos. I had some ideas here and there, but I still did not have the flash or the tick that forced me to give up everything I was doing and start taking pop photos. But a week ago it changed.


I recently saw an inspiring photo on @barbiestyle. It was a very simple image, but I wanted to recreate it or use it as a inspiration for photography. I decided not to give up, so I decided to give it a try a few days ago. You can see the related photo below. If the zip code does not work for you, you can always follow this link to the Barbie Style Instagram page .

Check out this post on Instagram

Post Barbie® shared (@barbiestyle)


Not the best Barbie Style photo or my favorite photo, but for some reason the idea came up. Probably a factor as to why they're doing so poorly. Also, you can now understand why I want to recreate this work of art in the near future . I will not try to create the same 100% copy but will use it as a base for photos with the same feel or vibration.

Before we begin, I would like to mention one very important thing. Photography is not easy, and neither is it for me. I had 20 other photos that I thought were not good for every photo I posted because I liked them. Not just for this project, but for any other photo project. Creating a project can take a long time and sometimes a few days. I say this because I do not want anyone to be discouraged or discouraged in the first place. It takes time and sometimes you just have to find the one that works for you. I do not even speak from an expert point of view, I share my journey and approach to my projects.

So let’s start with the real guide. If you look at the photo, you will see that there are shades like the sun in the window. So we have to create something that creates the same shadow to achieve this. I use a small box of cookies for this. Cut it out and use one side to plan your design. I am relieved, but not so important.

90ยบ I started designing angles and then I started designing my own design. I left 1 cm (0.39 inches) left and right. I started at the top and drew lines at a distance of 1.5 cm (0.59 in).


This is what we have. Below is some more space, but nothing. The lines I mark in pencil are the lines I cut.


Start cutting all other blanks with a knife or scissors. If you use scissors, you only need to glue the pieces on the side, otherwise they will break. After cutting the first with scissors, I continued with the cut.


This is what we have. Do not worry if it looks rough, it does not appear on camera.


Now is the time to build Diorama, it is very easy. I pasted white cardboard on the back of the wall. Then I had to cover one of the BMR 1959 boxes with a white cloth and sew doll clothes to make the bed. Finally, I added a picture and a small pot plant. I use two sinks / washing pins to hold the grill in place.


At first I was using a table lamp, but I could not find the color of the photos I took earlier in the test. So I came to the conclusion that the desk lamp is very diffused, so I want something more serious. So in my case I thought I could use an old phone flashlight or flashlight function.

It took me a while to figure out which eclair was best for me. I tried everything: natural light and flashlight, using my ring light with different strengths, indoor lights ... I do not remember the combination I used here, but I was not very happy with the result and did not feel comfortable. Natural for me. .


Eventually, I found a mixture of flashlights, natural light, and a lot of dim light that I normally use in hot weather. These photos were taken between 3am and 6pm, when the sun was hitting the window. It took me a while to figure out the poses, and this is one of the first photos I really enjoyed.


I took a photo with myself and was happier with the pictures I took with Chloe.


I noticed that my photos did not have the same contrast and color as Barbie Style , but to be honest, I did not like clear lines. I think I am very accustomed to taking very bright photos, the dark ones do not feel as bright.


Here are the photos I took Friday afternoon. I saw it again a few days later and tried to come up with some ideas and some backups that were not good. Then I made a new net to look out the window.


I left a space of 1 cm between the rectangles to create the window frames. I also decided to be adventurous and decided to draw leaves in the top and bottom corners. The cut will be fun.



Here is the end result. When I finished, I realized that I had to draw large leaves. Also, the pieces I made are very mixed, but we will try them anyway.


The leaves were hard to see in the camera, so I had to look back until I could see the net. I really like this photo, but I pay more attention to the doll's face than the background, except that the photo looks distorted.


Of all the photos I took on the second day, Victoria was one of my favorites. I was able to put the leaves on top of the photo and love the overall composition.


Anyway, at least I didn't go down without explaining myself first, but I still like some of the photos I took. I think the way to learn pop photography is to make pop photo. It is still far from perfect, but I have tested myself and learned something new by trying to do something different. I'm very satisfied with the result, but there is still room for improvement. This project is not part of the final destination but part of a photographic journey.

I have to explain that I have a new computer display and I am still used to painting. It's a little difficult to edit, but using a laptop hurts my neck so I really have to use it. I hope to find out soon, but there may still be some photos that look a little "washed out".


Many projects are planned this summer, including the one I started months ago, and I will try to finish it next time. I also want to make exterior decorations for my outdoor shows, but I still have to be careful about that. In early July, I will compile a summary of my winning and future projects and a collection of photos.

So what do you think about this project? Post your thoughts in the comments section and see us in the next post.


Awesome craftsmanship


Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url