Coral wainscot for spring diorama

Spring has just arrived and the new season calls for a new colorful backdrop. If you've been following my blog for a while, you might know my Mix and Match series where I create interchangeable items to use as backdrops for photos of your dolls. I recently made a dark gray panel to match some of my colored walls, but today I want to make a color version of it, so I use it for spring and summer photos.

Cover Photo: Kristen in front of a beige wall with coral wainscot

Since I already explained in my original post about the new skin design how to make a skin, I won't go too far in this post. However, I have changed some of the dimensions and aspect ratios which I will explain so you can choose the aspect ratio that works best for you.

I also want to point out that I recently got a new desk, so things might look a little different than usual.

You will need the same accessories as last time, namely:

  • Gray binding/border.
  • Sharp knife (with a new blade).
  • Glue stick and vinyl glue.
  • Background. I personally love using plaster.
  • Handmade paints and brushes.
  • Cereal box.

I started by cutting out all the pieces, but two of them were already cut and primed when I made the last sheet. This time our main body will be 17 cm (6.69 inches) high instead of 16 cm (6.3 inches). We also have a 2 cm (0.79 inch) piece that I will be using as the bottom trim.

Binding cardboard pieces to build the wainscot

So now I just need to make a piece that will be the top support. I made it 1.6 cm (6.30 inches) because I think the size would look more in proportion to the bottom of the skin. I cut as usual.

Cutting binding cardboard

Prepare the product with plaster on both sides and let it dry. This is what we must have.

All pieces cut and primed

We glue the parts with vinyl glue. I usually use any white glue that can be found in hardware stores and get better results than office supply stores. I also wanted to do a little test to check the color, but as you can see, I was too carried away.


Draw some lines on the cereal box to create vertical slats. I made my own 1.3 cm (5.12 inches). Cut them out.


Before putting anything in place, I plan out the layout and spacing between the tabs. I decided to leave a distance of 12 cm (4.72 inches) between them. This gives me an idea of ​​what it will be. I probably should have cleaned my workspace better before taking any pictures.

Planning out the distance between the slats

Measure the distance between the top and bottom boards and cut the pieces to match. I would recommend measuring the exact spot where you will be gluing them, in case there is a slight difference between the pieces.

Measuring

You can glue two or more pieces together to get a larger size. Decided to stick only two.

Using a glue stick

When all the boards are ready, it's time to glue them. Take your time with this part. I glued the first 5 cm (1.97 inches) from the edge and then left a 12 cm gap between the rest.

Gluing the slats

Once everything is glued, it's time to paint. I chose coral blush from Americana Acrylics . This is the same color I used for myconsole that I made a while back.

Painting the wainscot with coral blush

For comparison, I took this photo with gray and coral skin so you can see the difference between them.

Comparison between the two wainscots

Now it's time to set up the scene for photographing the dolls. As I said, I have a new table with this black panel. It's actually a workbench and this panel is for hanging tools, but I just bought it so I wouldn't destroy the wall by attaching props to the pop photo.

Sticking diorama to a working bench. Before sticking the wainscot.

First I'll lay out the floor, and then I'll cover the wall with poster paint. Then stick the film to the wall with poster paint.

Diorama sticked to a working bench

Let's now see how this skin looks on camera, what is its main purpose. I combine it with my jute wall, the only "neutral" wall I have. Here is a photo with Kim.

Kim leaning towards a beige wall with a coral wainscot

He looks more reddish on camera than in real life, but I'm not angry about that.

Kim in a beige and coral diorama scene

I also wanted to feel that it would be something more alive. I chose a sea glass wall in a rather muted color and thought it would work.

Barbie Vitiligo in front of a green wall with a coral wainscot

It looks quite gray on camera, but it's actually a muted green with a grayish tinge. I don't know how I feel about this color combination.

Kristen in front of a green wall with a coral wainscot

Overall, I am very pleased with this stove. It is quite a cheerful and cute color, but maybe not for everyday life. I feel like I need a lot more props as my scenes still look pretty "blank" but I get closer to each project. Lately I have been working very slowly and not very motivated. I have a full list of projects and ideas, but I don't really know how to prioritize.

Kristen sitting on the floor in front of the coral wainscot

I don't know what I'll do for my next post. I try to combine different types of messages so that people don't get bored, but I don't know what I'll do next. I still have a peculiar post, but I don't know if I should finish it or try copying another post from scratch.

Personally, we are fine. I try to keep my psoriasis under control with lipstick and natural remedies and every day I have to expose the spots to direct sunlight for 10 minutes. I also had terrible neck pain, but I went to my physical therapist and he gave me some exercises that I can do every day so that he doesn't get sick anymore. But other than that, we feel good and stay healthy.

Let me know what you want to see next and also what you think about this project. Hope you are doing well and see you in my next post.


Create monsters



My culinary blog:

Cooking with MS


Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url